Will this be the year Nadal gets his tenth title at Monte Carlo? His draw is favorable; he did not have to contend with any top seeds, notably, Djokovic, Murray or Wawrinka.
Tournaments This Week:
Biyuan Cup Zhenghou Women’s Tennis Open (China/Hard-court)
Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters (Monaco/Clay)
Fed Cup this week: USA vs. Czech (Saddlebrook Resort in Tampa Bay, FL)
Top Moments This Week:
5. Glad to see that I only recognized four names in the Biyuan Cup Zhengzhou Women’s Tennis Open draw. If you are not Chinese, there was little reason to play this very small hard-court tournament in the middle of clay season.
…it was Goffin who did all the things Djokovic normally does to his opponents. It was Goffin who used his high, heavy cross court forehand to gain a court-position advantage. It was Goffin who pulled the trigger on his down-the-line backhand for winners. It was Goffin who sent his returns deep, and who pounced on short balls. It was Goffin who outlasted Djokovic in the marathon rallies, including a 27-shot point in the final game. And it was Goffin who survived, in much the same way that Djokovic has been surviving this week, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5, after an 11-minute final game.
espnW’s Katrina Adams interview highlights her long and successful tennis career from player (college and professional) to commentator and ultimately USTA President. You have to wonder what she has planned for her next adventure; hopefully, she has WTA CEO on her radar!
- This is misleading and presents an unfounded conclusion, but I enjoy the player’s game, so check-out this piece. Joel Drucker: Schiavone & Player Development
- Though Kvitova is on the entry list for Roland Garros, she may not be ready to play…
- Stuttgart will determine WTA #1. Will it be Serena or Kerber?
- The rebirth and renovation of Cuba’s National Tennis Center by a group of Cubans and Americans is remarkable.
- Romania’s Fed Cup captain, Ilie Nastase, has made two derogatoy comments about Serena this month. His behavior has ripples of sexism and racism.
- WTA’s WTA Storylines
- Tennis Channel’s ATP Storylines
- Fed Cup: From Patriotism to Nationalism and Disorderly Conduct
Winners This Week:
Nadal, the only top seed remaining, is favored to win his tenth title at the prestigious tournament.
#2 Seed Quian Wang won her first title ( Biyuan Cup Zhenghou Women’s Tennis Open) by retirement of Shiang Peng 3–6, 7-6 (3), 1-1
Nadal secured his tenth Monte Carlo Rolex Masters Title defeating Ramos-Vinolas 6-1, 6-3. And the doubles champions are Bopanna/Cuervas who outlasted Lopez/Lopez 6-3, 3-6, 10-4
Fed Cup this week: USA vs. Czech (DAY 1)
- Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (Stuttgart/Clay/Premier)
- TEB BNP Paribas Istanbul Cup (Istanbul/Clay/International)
- Barcelona Open Banco Sabadell (Spain/Clay/500)
- Gazprom Hungarian Open (Budapest/Clay/250)
What were your top tennis moments this week?