5. With his 4+ hours win over Murray, Kevin Anderson has arrived and put the top 4 on notice!
4. Donald Young has had a very successful Slam. He pulled a two sets down win in the first round against Simon and the third against Troiki. Unfortunately, he fell to Wawrinka in the fourth round. He also played doubles and mixed doubles. He’ll be joining the Davis Cup.
3. Venus Williams is into the second week and will play Serena Williams on Tuesday in the quarter finals. Though her first (Puig) and second round (Falconi) wins were not clean and required three sets, she won her third round with clean and beautiful tennis, especially in the first set over Bencic 6-3 6-4.
2. Mid-match Interviews. Coco Vandeweghe was the first player to give a mid match interview. While she won the match over Stephens in straight sets, she did go out the next round to Bethany Mattek Sands 6-2, 6-1. The interview, at the end of the first set was jarring and added nothing of value.
1. US Open Week 1 retirements and injuries were many! No fewer than 14 ATP and 2 WTA players have retired, most notable Jack Sock who all but collapsed on the court and Vitalia Diatchenko, Serena’s first round opponent, who took the court with what appeared to be an ankle injury before retiring 6-2 2-0. As the last slam of the year, no doubt players are weary and many may need the funds that this slam would provide, but the number of ATP retirements highlights the lack of a Heat Ruling and the Five Set Slam. More than anything, this has shown how untenable the tennis calendar is. .
What was your top tennis moment this week?